This dish is my version of macaroni gratinen, semi-healthy and with an Italian kick. It doesn't sound appetizing, but it was so good! Alter it to make it full-fat by not using healthier choices.
(This one is for you Dorly!)
- 1 box of macaroni (I use Dream Fields, low carb)
- 1/2 lb of lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil (Smart Balance)
- 1 cup of French's Friend Onions
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup of evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 6 capers
Set the oven to 350 degrees. Boil the macaroni with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil. Put the olive oil in a pot and sauté the lean ground beef with it until cooked.
In a bowl, mix the fried onions, eggs, evaporated milk, mayo, ketchup, mozzarella cheese and capers.
Rinse the macaroni off with cold water. Mix the above ingredients in with the macaroni. Add more mozzarella and fried onions to the top. Bake for 30 minutes. Enjoy my totally altered, but good Haitian macaroni gratinen.